4 years later, Jaye is 3 and a half and I’m gearing up for my umpteenth kids consignment sale, Just Between Friends Fort Worth to prepare to welcome a new baby in just a few short weeks. So I thought I’d dish up some advice I’ve been thinking about now that I’m starting over again with Baby #2– What to buy at kids consignment sales (and also what to skip) And then once I’ve given you my two cents, I’ve also got a giveaway for a $15 gift certificate to the Spring Sale at JBF Fort Worth. So keep reading (or just scroll down).
For starters, here’s what to expect. Just Between Friends Fort Worth is Texas’ LARGEST children’s and maternity consignment sale. It takes place in Fort Worth at the Will Rogers Memorial Center, the Amon G. Carter Exhibit Hall. So expect a giant giant room full of rows and rows of clothing racks and more rows of tables with toys, and then rows of strollers, exersaucers and other bulky kids items. For more tips and advice, see my DFW Consignment Sale Guide or these 10 Tips for Shopping at Consignment Sales.
What to Buy at Kids Consignment Sales
- Clothes–This is probably the first thing you thought about when preparing for a new baby. It’s certainly the most fun to shop for-all those adorable little outfits! Buying clothing at kids consignment sales is a great way to save money. Especially in the smaller sizes, the items are often brand new or barely worn once. Two extra tips on clothes: (1) usually there is more selection of girls clothes than boys, so if you are shopping for both genders, start with the boy clothes, (2) remember that babies grow quickly. You’ll need clothes in the bigger size ranges sooner than you realize, if you’re shopping while pregnant, don’t stick to only newborn sizes, buy some ahead in bigger sizes too.
- Exersaucers, bouncers, swings–These are great items to find at consignment sales. Your baby will only use them for a few months so they are usually in great condition. Plus, it makes it easier to put away once your little one has outgrown them since you know you didn’t pay full price. And you can save a ton. For example, an exersaucer ranges from $65-$80 on Amazon right now. But you can usually find an identical one for $20-$35 at a consignment sale.
- Shoes–Jaye’s shoes almost always come from a consignment sale. Look for the better brands, so you know the shoe will last even though its used. I like Stride Rite and usually find them for $5-8 a pair instead of the $40-$50 retail price.
- Books–I love to hunt through the book section to find new favorites. Or even just attempt to add some variety to our bedtime story routine.
- Strollers–Another big ticket item. When Jaye was born, we did the full travel system from Target. The carseat was great, but the stroller was not and we rarely used it. This time, I’ve decided to go with just a snap and go system, which I will definitely purchase at JBF.
- Seasonal items–Halloween costumes are a perfect thing to buy at kids consignment sales, either to wear for Halloween or even to stock a dress-up box. This spring, I’ll be looking for swimsuits and sun hats.
What to Skip
- Breast pumps–Cause eew. Just buy it new, usually insurance will even cover it.
- Bibs–I always pass over the tables of bibs and other mealtime items. I don’t think it’s worth my time to sort through the bibs. And there’s less savings on these smaller items.
- Stuffed toys–again, eew. I just don’t like not knowing what might have been spilled on them, etc. This also applies to infant or baby toys with soft/stuffed parts that aren’t easily washable.
- Nursery decor–maybe this is just personal preference, but none of the nursery decor at consignment sales ever appeals to me. Too much baby blue or baby pink.
JBF Fort Worth will be open to the public Thursday, March 5th 2015 – Monday, March 9th 2015. See the full schedule here. First time parents and grandparents can sign up to shop early. Another way to get in early is by volunteering or consigning.
Just Between Friends Fort Worth Consignment Sale Giveaway
Rules: 1 Winner gets $15 gift certificate to Just Between Friends Fort Worth’s Spring Sale. Sale dates are Thursday, March 5th 2015 – Monday, March 9th 2015. Winner must be able to attend the Spring Sale. Gift Certificate will be available to be picked up in person at the sale. Giveaway begins Feb. 9 at 11:00 pm and ends Friday Feb 20 at 11:00 pm. Winner will be selected randomly using Rafflecopter. I will contact winner by email and they will have 24 hours to respond before I need to choose another winner.
And even if you don’t win the giveaway, you can use the coupon below to get in free on March 7th.